Thursday, January 7, 2010

Fascinating Facts About Me! Part 3

I know you all are just...well...fascinated!!!  I mean, you all never dreamed I would have a sock collection(under my pillow) and a fascination with dirt, did you???

This will be the last of my Fascinating Facts series for now, and I know this one is really going to surprise you!

Are you ready?

I am bi tri quart--I am multi-lingual!!!  Are you surprised???

Of course I'm rusty on my Ohioan language, but have adapted to the Pennsylvania language pretty well, after 16 years of being here.  I know how to say agaaan--spelled "again", pronounced "uh-gaan".  I've noticed other subtle accent adaptions that have begun to come naturally as well. 

I understand Redneck very well, but don't speak it as fluently as I understand it.  I even understand the culture!  I was blessed to attend a wedding in this culture, so I was able to experience the whole effect of culture and language! 

I am fluent in sign language commands.  My children have become rather fluent as well.  When I spin my finger in a circle in the air, that means "turn around" in church.  When I shake my head no, that means "don't do that in public!".  When I put my finger across my lips vertically, that means, "Your dad is SLEEPING...how many times do I have to tell you to be QUIET?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?" 

And when I roll my eyes back into my head while throwing my head back, that means, "Amber, have you stopped talking for 30 seconds since you woke up this morning???"  I'll probably have to learn the next sign that goes hand in hand with that one--maybe rolling my eyes back into my head, and then putting my head in my hands, which will mean, "Thanks Amber, now your little brother is catching on!!!".  (Amber, you know I love you, Baby!)

So there you have it!  I am multi-lingual! 

My brother-in-law Tim married a beautiful lady from Kansas a little over a year ago, and in this small town we live in, she is actually employed as a FRENCH INTERPRETER!!!  No joke!

After Tim showed me a picture on his cell phone of the fancy holiday desserts she makes, and learning that this girl is extremely intelligent, and sews clothing fit for a queen, and always, always looks like a million bucks, I started to worry!  I'm thinking, Well, there goes my status as the favorite daughter-in-law!  I guess being a dingbat can only gain a person favor for so many years!  And then I'm thinking, Dan is going to think Tim got the better end of the deal when it came to finding a talented wife! 

But once I got to know this lovely lady, I was able to rest my worried little head.  She's so down to earth and is just a beautiful person!  I love her dearly, and she was the perfect addition to this family! 

And besides all that, I have to silently, quietly smile to myself....she might know French, but I understand  Redneck better than she ever will, so I have the secret pleasure of knowing I've one upped her!  But no need to tell her...we'll just keep this our little secret!  :)

2 comments:

Faye said...

Guess what -- I think she may read your blogs. lol

Amber said...

lol Love you to, Mama!! :)