Tuesday, November 23, 2010

ROAD CLOSED

I'm going to share a story in two or three parts with you all-written by my dear friend, Michelle.  This is just another sneak peek of one of the new stories that will be up on my website in just a few short days!  Please be sure to stop by and visit http://www.achocolatebouquet.com/ !


Part One

Well, this recession has gotten people willing to do just about anything to get to work...especially me!


One morning, I was on my way to work at a new job that I really loved. It was clean, , easy, and I didn't go home sore everyday.

I got on the highway 303 and proceeded until I saw a "ROAD CLOSED" sign blocking my lane. I followed the cars ahead of me, which were all turning right and following the detour signs.

After about 15 to 20 minutes of driving, I began to realize that I could have been to work by now, and this detour seemed to be taking me further and further out of the direction I needed to go. Worse yet, I was going to be late!

I had to think of something quick, so I decided to turn around and double back after remembering the last time they had the road closed-there wasn't anything wrong with the road in the first place!

I finally came to the "ROAD CLOSED" sign again, and I was happy! I normally turn the corner here, and there is a tiny hill to go up-after going down the other side there is a set of railroad tracks that I slow down for. This time, as soon as I turned the corner, I put the pedle to the metal and raced up the hill. Being that I was already behind in time, instead of slowing down, I decided I would just go with the flow. I shouldn't have said that because when I hit the top of that hill, WHOOOSH!!! I sailed right into a lake! Apparently the road was closed for a reason this time! We had a significant rain fall during the previous night, and apparently the lakes on both sides of the road had overflowed.

I thought I was dreaming! Water was coming inside my car at an alarming rate! When the steam disappeared and the waves subsided, I could see a tiny silver Toyota Corrola barrelling ahead. I thought, "Wait! That car is smaller than mine!" I tried to start my car again-yes, even though water was covering the hood. I was panicking!

Just then I saw a little red pickup truck approaching me. In my mind I thought, he's driving through this lake-how is he doing that? I'm sure he's going to offer to assist me!

I stared. I glared! I got nothing! He never even looked over at me!

I prayed, "Jesus, help! Please! You know I need this job. Lord, you know I need this car!! Blah, blah, blah..."-all those things we say when we need God to get us out of the calamity we put ourselves in-going down the wrong road(if you will).

Just then, a nice shining red Jeep Cherokee pulled up beside me. Oh, thank you Jesus! You were listening to me! You do know how bad I need this job and car! The driver said, "Sooo, what happened? Didn't you see the "ROAD CLOSED" sign?" I said, "Um, well kinda. You know how that sign was there the other day and there wasn't anything wrong with the road that day?" The driver says, "Sooo, your car won't start, or did it stasll out or what? I said, "Um, yeah, both." The driver says, "Well, that's really to bad, but once you get it out of the water it should be fine. Good luck!" And then, the red Cherokee drove off, making waves that hit my car and actually rocked in back and forth like a boat.

Well, back to calling on Jesus!

No comments: